The MG TD was launched in 1949 as a welcome replacement to the MG TC. The TC had been in production for four years, introduced as the first post-war MG, and the MG's first foray into the US market-albeit right hand drive only. With the popularity of the TC both domestically and abroad, even with the strictest of budgets, a rough prototype for the TC successor was readied in just two weeks. This work amounted to shortening the chassis of the TC, welding and introducing independent suspension. The result was a much stiffer body, larger dampers offered significantly improved handling. A period review from The Autocar mentioned the TD 'gained enormously for use in the hands of those who have no wish to endure any degree of suspension discomfort'. Of the nearly 30,000 TD's produced, 75% made their way to the USA, such was the demand for British sports cars.
This example was built for the North American market and was delivered to its first owner, Mr Coreita of California, in 1955. It remained with the same family in California until it was sold by Mr Coreita's wife to Mr Keller in 2011, some 56 years later. Remaining in the USA for the duration of its second owners tenure, it was acquired two years later by its most recent custodian. At this point it was repatriated to the UK in March 2013, one month after purchase. Since it's return to the UK, it has received a comprehensive mechanical overhaul and restoration. Today it is presented in the elegant combination of gloss black over tan, with matching tan all weather protection. This restoration-fresh example is located at our showrooms just outside London and is available to view immediately.