This Messerschmitt KR200 is no longer available. Please contact us for any further information you may require.
Banned from producing aircraft after the war, German manufacturer Messerschmitt had turned their focus to other wares. In 1952 they were approached by Fritz Fend, an ex- Luftwaffe technical officer who started the production of his own tricycle three years earlier. With both Fend and Messerschmitt of an aeronautical background, it was almost a given this would be incorporated into the final design. The KR 175 entered production in 1952.
A narrow body shape was achieved through the use of tandem seating, with the passenger directly behind the driver. With a low weight and low drag coefficient from the aeroplane tapered cockpit. The single cylinder 10hp engine was still capable of 50mph.
In 1955 it was replaced by the KR200. Utilising the same frame, the car was heavily updated with revised rear suspension, canopy design and engine upgraded eking an extra 6mph at the top end from one additional horsepower despite weighing 23kg more than before. An instant success as Germany still sought low cost personal transport, the KR200 sold 12,000 units it its first year alone.
Powered by a 191cc single cylinder two-stroke engine positioned behind the passenger seat ahead of the rear wheel, this paired with a sequential gearbox. In order to reverse, the engine would be stopped and then restarted, meaning the car was provided with the same four gear ratios in reverse!
In 1956, around a year after West Germany joined NATO, Messerschmitt was allowed to re-enter the manufacture of aircraft and parts once more. Focussing instead on this, they sold the production line to Fend who, along with his brake hub supplier, formed Fahzeug und Mashinenbau GmbH Regensburg to continue production.
The next year he would launch the Kabrio, featuring a cloth convertible roof with a fixed windscreen and side windows. The aircraft like design of original was prone to excessive heat buildup in the summer months and as such the Kabrio was introduced.
This 1962 Kabrio, built towards the tail end of production presents immaculately. It has had just two UK owners, the first of whom acquired the car in 2010 from Holland. At the time of purchase, It had recently benefitted from a comprehensive, bare metal restoration and mechanical overhaul.
Its first UK owner, Mr Friend of Watford used the car frequently, covering some 3,000 miles since 2010. Most recently acquired by its current owner in 2016, it has been used sparingly and been kept in dry storage.
Today this delightful Kabrio presents superbly and is available to view at our showrooms just outside London immediately. It benefits from its original Messerschmitt manual, previous Dutch registration as well as a wealth of MOTs, bills and invoices.
The DK™ Logo and DK Engineering™ are registered trade marks of D.K. Engineering (Holdings) Limited
© Copyright 2020 - All Rights Reserved