This Aston Martin DB2 is no longer available. Please contact us for any further information you may require.
The Aston Martin DB2 was a highly successful post-war production car that was first introduced to the public at the 1950 New York Motor Show. The release of this model followed David Brown's acquisition of Aston Martin and Lagonda in 1947. During the three years in which the car was produced (Until 1953), they were sold as fast as they could be produced. In total, 339 coupes and 102 dropheads were completed with the distinctive 2-seater tourer body designed by Frank Freeley giving the car an elegant look. Fitted to the chassis was the Lagonda 2.3 litre engine and four-wheel coil-spring suspension.
Finished in its original Alpine Blue livery, this particular DB2 is one of the very rare and highly desirable 'First Sanction' cars, which features a three-piece radiator grille, side extractor grilles, all-round chrome plated bumper strips, twin fuel fillers and flush-fitting front and rear screens with plated surrounds. This car is, astonishingly, regarded as just the second production example, as the first 10 numbers were given to press, works or development cars. It is believed that this very car was the first production DB2 to be sold by Aston Martin.
The car was initially exported to the USA - it was the first Aston Martin exported to the USA post-war - and sold to its first owner via Hoffman Motor Car Company in New York. Photographs in the file show the car leaving the factory. It then passed hands to Samuel L Schen and subsequently on to C R Bradshaw, of Delphi, Indiana. In the early 1970's the car was sold to J.P. Gillham in Kentucky and then disappeared off the radar for a number of years. It was discovered in Maryland in 1989 in a poor condition, having been kept outside for a considerable period of time. It was shipped back to the UK and was purchased by Douglas Blain, who restored the car to its former glory. All of the original features were retained, despite the difficulty in sourcing the appropriate missing components. The restoration of the chassis and body was undertaken by Randall Stuart and the colour schemes were carefully and meticulously matched with the original paint and leather. Upon completion of the restoration, the car was bought by Jersey-based enthusiast John Acon.
The car was the sold again in 2001 and its new owner upgraded the engine to a 3 litre DB2/4 version and had a Doug Kiddy crankshaft fitted - all undertaken by leading marque specialist Rex Woodgate. As many components were utilised from the original engine as possible, while it was also fitted with Cosworth pistons, Carrillo con-rods, Chesman unleaded-compatible valve seats, Kent camshafts, Lumention electronic ignition and 2" SU carburettors (from a DB4) on matching inlet manifold. The mechanicals were completely restored and upgraded and Alfin brake drums were added. The car has been to the California Mille and the California Mille Autunno rallies as well as the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance in 2007, when Aston Martin was one of the featured marques. In Europe, the car could be eligible for the fabled Mille Miglia.
This very rare, incredibly early and ground breaking 'First Sanction' example presents, arguably, a once in a lifetime opportunity to acquire a very special car that has been restored to, in our opinion, an exceptional standard. The car has covered less than 15,000 miles since restoration, is UK road registered and is currently located at our showroom just outside London, ready to be enjoyed immediately by its new owner.
The DK™ Logo and DK Engineering™ are registered trade marks of D.K. Engineering (Holdings) Limited
© Copyright 2021 - All Rights Reserved