This Ferrari 246 GTS 'Chairs & Flares' is no longer available. Please contact us for any further information you may require.
The much sought-after Ferrari 246 Dino GT was named after Enzo Ferrari's son Alfredino, who died in 1956, aged just 24. Enzo Ferrari credits his son with the inspiration for a series of successful small and medium capacity V6 racing engines built by Ferrari from 1956, and in turn the name was given to a new line of mid-engined production Ferrari V6 coupés, which first went on sale in 1969. The Dino 246GT has proved to be one of the most satisfying and successful automobiles built by Ferrari and paved the way for the emerging generation of mid-engined Ferraris. It is widely regarded as one of the best-handling and most gratifying automobiles of the early 70s, it is one of the most attractive, delicately balanced designs ever produced by the masters at Pininfarina. As a result Dinos have enjoyed a well-deserved recent surge in popularity.
This Dino GTS was supplied new by Maranello Concessionaires and their records show it was first delivered in March 1974 to Mr Thompson. Originally specified in Rosso Bordeaux over Beige, this car was originally specified with electric windows and the addition of both the extremely rare and highly desirable wider, sand-cast Campagnolo alloy wheels, flared arches and the leather ‘Daytona’ seats. As such this example forms the ultimate roof-off, Dino specification; a "Chairs and Flares" GTS, built as one of just 5 UK RHD examples of such.
Accompanying this example is a large history volume including a copy of its original order document and continuing from there. Purchased by its second owner in 1977, a Mr Guthrie of Devon who would service the car regularly, close to his home using a local rally and motorsport specialist. The car received it’s first MOT in 1977, three years after delivery marking the mileage as 18,270 miles. At the time of sale, Mr Guthrie confirmed the history of the car to this point, verifying the mileage and that it had only ever been used during the summer months. The MOT certificate from 1977 is included along with all succeeding MOTs until it was exported in 1982.
This GTS had 3 owners in the UK averaging 2000 miles per year. In 1982, the car was purchased by its fourth owner, Mr D. Parkinson who loaded the car in Rotterdam ahead of its transport by sea to Johannesburg. Mr Parkinson would retain the car for just shy of 20 years. Servicing the car in locally, the file details requests for countless parts from UK suppliers including GrayPaul Ferrari of Nottingham and Maranello Concessionaires who delivered items to his UK business before finding their way to him in South Africa.
In 2012, the car was purchased by Mr McCryst who instigated a comprehensive, bare-metal restoration of the GTS with Carrozzeria Viglietti. At this time the colour was changed to the brighter Rosso Corsa hue that the car presents in today. The history file thoroughly documents the restoration, including a wealth of photos of each stage of the work.
Completed the following year, the GTS was used sparingly and was purchased by its current owner 6 months after completion. The car was repatriated to the UK when the owner moved in 2018. Since then, the car has been under our care, seeing regular servicing and remaining in our secure storage facility. With a fully warranted 47,500 miles from new, this Dino GTS presents superbly and is ready to be used and enjoyed by its next custodian.
Available to view at out showrooms just outside London immediately, this is a rare opportunity to acquire one of just 5 UK RHD supplied 246 GTS ‘Chairs & Flares’ examples. Accompanying this car is its history file, original leather Dino pouch, jack, toolkit and Ferrari Red Book Classiche Certification.