DK Engineering is proud to be the UK exclusive agent for McMurtry, the British engineering outfit working towards creating the world’s greatest small electric cars for road and track use.
Operating at the leading edge of technology, McMurtry is working to develop the next generation of automotive innovation. The team is committed to raising the bar for electric vehicles, inventing, and proving new technologies to offer cars with unrivalled performance in dynamics, speed and range.
The McMurtry Spéirling has demonstrated the dominance of the fan-assisted downforce technology by winning the Festival of Speed, setting a new outright record up the iconic Goodwood Hillclimb. The new record of 39.08 was set during the 'Sunday Shootout' by ex-F1 driver Max Chilton.
Now it is possible to own an evolution of that record breaking vehicle, in one of the most extreme, no rules track cars on the planet: the McMurtry Spéirling PURE.
Powertrain system performance and efficiency is balanced to maximise run time and minimise charge time, whilst delivering average lap speeds not seen before on many circuits. The cadence of driving and charging time fits nicely into the schedule of premium track programmes, such as the GT1 Sports Club, for which the Spéirling PURE is eligible. As a baseline the car is capable of doing 10 laps of Silverstone National at lap record pace and then fast charging in 20 minutes to run again. Tantalisingly the car has potential to go even faster, for a shorter qualifying simulation.
Its natural home is on race circuits, where McMurtry’s bespoke fan downforce system gives drivers a step change in usable grip. It unlocks a new experience by delivering constant and approachable downforce, all of the time, regardless of speed. It is not affected by yaw angle or wind direction either. The sub 1000kg drivers car is focused on providing some of the most significant and talked about laps of an individual’s endeavours on a race circuit, time and time again.
Production will be limited to 100 units. Existing deposit holders will receive delivery in 2025.
The validation prototype will continue to test in the UK and Europe in 2023 alongside pursuing a record-breaking programme. This will be followed by pre-production prototypes in 2024, ahead of production starting in 2025.
The image gallery below features images of the Spéirling PURE along with a selection from the DK x McMurtry hosted private test-drive day back in April this year, where indiviguals were given the opportunity to get behind the wheel, experiencing the mind-bending Spéirling first hand.
Key Facts - Spéirling PURE track car
• It’s the first commercially available sealed skirt fan car – an opportunity to own and exploit this historically significant technology. 3G cornering now possible at accessible speeds.
• Its capability will exceed that of the machine which holds the Goodwood Festival of Speed Hillclimb record. It is focused on multi lap runs on full race circuits with fast charge turnaround.
• It is eligible for the GT1 Sports Club. An exclusive hypercar driving programme held in the heart of the SRO GT World Challenge race weekends. Destinations include International FIA circuits in Europe, Asia and America.
• Validation Prototype (VP1) will be unveiled to the public at the Goodwood Festival of Speed. It will be in the supercar paddock neighbouring the start line.
• Pre-production protypes will follow in 2024.
• Final Production will be limited to 100 units, deliveries will start in 2025.
• From £820,000 + taxes
Headline Technical Information
• Patented Downforce-on-Demand Fan System
• 1.02m height x 1.58m width x 3.45m length
• <1000 kg Weight
• 1000 bhp (745kW) Peak Output
• 190 mph Top Speed
• Rear Wheel Drive
• 60 kWh Battery System – developed with Molicel
• Fast Charge in under 20 mins
• Carbon Fibre Monocoque designed to meet motorsport standards
• Adjustable pedals and steering wheel to accommodate drivers up to 6ft 7” (2.0m) and 150kg.
• Slick Tyres - 27/65-18 (Front), 30/68-18 (Rear)
Here are the changes beyond the Goodwood recording holding car:
• All new fan system – 15% increase in fan efficiency, 14% weight saving and significantly enhanced tolerance to flow variation.
• Updated skirt design 15% lighter
• New E-axle, Goodwood spec acceleration with 190mph top speed and 0.5% improvement gearbox efficiency.
• New battery with improved thermal management and 3% mass saving enabled by Molicel cells and 15.5% mass saving on battery casing.
• Revised chassis saving 4% mass.
• Revised wheel arch and underbody aerodynamics.
• New electrical architecture saving 35% on wiring loom mass.
• Exterior - Wider tyres for increased and more progressive lateral grip. 60mm wider per tyre. And now on 18” wheels vs 19” previously.
• Front Tyres increased in width from 21/64R19 to 27/65R18, +28% width.
• Rear Tyres increased in width from 24/640R19 to 30/68R18, +25% width.
• Wheel rims 2% lighter on front and 12% on rear.
• Suspension and bodywork re-engineered.
• Revised pedal box saving 17% mass and addition of optional ABS
• 2.5% reduction in brake system assembly mass
• Lightened power steering unit saving 20% mass