This 857 Sport Spider Scaglietti was originally completed in 1955 as the last of four 857S cars. Enzo Ferrari intended to use the car as a Scuderia race team car and as such the car was entered into it' first race, at the 50th Annual RAC trophy held at Dundrod, Ireland , in September 1955. The car was due to be driven by Maurice Trintignant and Umberto Maglioli, however on Thursday morning of the 14th September the car was crashed in early practice on track by Oliver Gendebein. Gendebein managed to roll the car numerous times and subsequently 0588 did not start the race but was instead sent back to Carrozzeria Scaglietti in Modena for repairs. The young Gendebein was sent to hospital for treatment of an injured arm.
Following the completion of Scaglietti's repairs in 1956 , 0588 was sold to John Edgar as a brand new car! Under Edgar's ownership the car was campaigned extensively to great sucess by Jack McAfee and Carroll Shelby.
0588M was sold at the start of 1957 to Stan Sugarman, a resident of Scottsdale, AZ/USA. Sugarman continued to campaign the car and secured yet more podium finishes and victories. At the end of 1958, the original (now tired) motor was removed from 0588. The car was placed into storage, following Sugarman facing financial difficulties, where it remained until the early 60's.
It is believed in the late 1960's 0588M was sold by Koveleski to Andy Warhol, the pop artist resident in Long Island, USA, who still kept it with the V8 engine fitted. Later the car was sold to Tiny Gould, MN/USA and it was now repainted yellow with black wheels. At some point the car was restored in the New York area and fitted with a Ferrari V12 engine and a 275 transaxle. 0588M was then purchased by Chris Renwick, an English dealer based in Los Angeles. Chris brought the car back to Europe in the mid 70's.
David Cottingham of DK Engineering remembers Chris bringing the car around to his house in the early 70's and David drove the car around the block. Later the car was sold to Sir Anthony P. Bamford and then on to Italy where it was sold to Count Bobily (Luigi P. Rezzonico Castelbarco of Imbersago, Italy).
In June 1973 the car was driven by Corrado Cupellini at the Le Mans historics.
0588M remained in Italy until 1997 when it was sold via Cupellini to Jean-Claude Bajol. Bajol used the car very sparingly as by now it was in need of another restoration.
In January 2011 the car was purchased by DK Engineering and a total restoration was commenced immediately.
The aim was to return the car back to its original specification with the correct 3.5 Litre 4 cylinder motor ready for the Goodwood Revival 2011. The restoration was completed in this tight timescale and the car ran at the front all weekend qualifying on pole and leading the race until an oil pressure problem caused retirement on the last lap.
The DK™ Logo and DK Engineering™ are registered trade marks of D.K. Engineering (Holdings) Limited
© Copyright 2021 - All Rights Reserved