Originally the New York Motorshow car, 0614MDTR was raced by Carroll Shelby in the months ahead of delivery to its first owner William Helburn who purchased the car at the Motorshow. When in his custody, the car was briefly a reserve for the factory team, as theirs had been held up amongst a dock worker strike.
0614 would race until 1960 where after a V8 engine swap was carried out, the car was lost for 30 years in the USA. Discovered and purchased by its most recent owner in the late 1980s, it would not be restored until 2012 when it was introduced to our care.
0614 presents today as the result of a three-year ground-up restoration. We went to great lengths to retain the original aluminium body shell, sourcing and incorporating the correct specification missing period components, including reuniting the car with its original engine, fitted in 500 TR chassis # 0650 MDTR for many years.
The completed car made its public race debut at the 2015 Goodwood Revival Meeting, where it was driven by David Cottingham in the Ferrari only Lavant Cup Race on race # 36, the same number that it wore in the 1957 Cuban Grand Prix. It was then entered in the Salon Privé Concours d’Elegance at Blenheim Palace in September 2016, where it won the “Racing Improves the Breed” class, and went on to take the prestigious “Best of Show” award.